4.27.2010

Work in Progress!




Moving is such hard work! Every day I discover more and more stuff to wade through; mostly not the kind you put in boxes. Mostly the kind you put in your head. It's a mess in there sometimes, but its clearing out and becoming. It's work in progress! Here's what's happening in the studio at McGuffey Center these days... really good stuff. So happy in my studio there and soooo lucky that our rent is subsidized somewhat by the city (phew!).

I have carried the bird's nest around with me for years, sealed in two ziploc bags to kill whatever tiny creatures might live in it! A great friend of mine found it for me in Corolla Village (she's 8 and still remembers what is beautiful). This image is a detail shot from a larger collage made of two windows, each salvaged from a demolished farmhouse in Point Harbor, NC. The nest always makes me think of robin's eggs and my favorite blue, which I would use on everything I paint...including The Hymnal, with Glass, salvaged from a historic home in Wanchese, NC. Love the simple certainty of this piece. It does not ask too many questions. It would not get kicked out of Sunday school like its maker...hmmm.

With all my changes and growth experiences last year, I loved the "Do It" ad I found in a vintage women's magazine, exhorting us to use our summer "leisure time" wisely, prettying up our homes as a special treat for our hardworking husbands. NO JOKE. Since I've been redacting everything, deleting the extraneous elements (or the offensive ones), it immediately begged to be bathed in pink and reduced to those two words. Whatever you will, do it. Like the shoes said.

No comments:

Post a Comment